Freedom of the Hills

Freedom of the Hills
Rainier 2009

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

I'm alive.







Today is a day I will NEVER forget! The sea had me in her grips and I somehow managed to break free. I must have had a guardian angel standing by. As most of you know I've been visiting this cliff jump in Newport for the past month or so and since the weather was nice today we decided to head there. On the hike out, we noticed how turbulent the waves were; huge 8 foot swells. When we got to the cliff it was obvious that we weren't going to jump. I looked at my friend Jason and said "Now way, man, not happening today". Then, as I stood at the edge looking down something inside convinced me that there was enough time in between swells that I could get in and out before the next one...so I jumped. I made it to the ledge just as the biggest swell of the day smashed me into the rocks! Then the suction swept me under and back out to sea. I thought "this is it, this is how I die". Then, as I looked up at my friends yelling "I NEED HELP, SOMEONE HELP ME!" Jason points along the cliffs as to say swim along the coast. So I did and after getting smashed a few more times I made it to the point where I got on a ledge long enough for my buddy Clay to pull me out. I hugged those guys for a good minute and then proceeded to check my wounds. Nothing major, just some deep bruises and cuts from the barnacles. Needless to say, I will never do that again. I am soo grateful for my friends and for being alive today. Check out these pics. They paint the picture pretty well. (Oh yeah, our friend Juliet was taking pictures the entire time. Kinda glad she did, even though it was a pretty serious situation.)
http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=75bf4fb10a7a2117d33ce936de451066

1 comment: